Author Topic: Definition of fanboy/girl  (Read 10590 times)

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
Re:Definition of fanboy/girl
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 02:46:52 PM »
It's for the best to think of yourself as an otaku, huh?  Being otaku isn't good...

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me
"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
Currently playing: Rewrite

Offline saki smurf

• Slightly Buzzed
  • no comment
    • saki
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2004, 03:41:52 PM »
first of all I meant the american version

secondly admtting that you have a problem is half the solution

Waya475

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2004, 07:24:15 PM »

But alot of us KNOW we don't have a problem.  I spend money on manga, but I spend it on other things too.  Movies, games, events, etc.  My life isn't devoted to that.  It is simply a hobby.  If you think all anime fans are in denial....  It is the otaku who are open that give the rest of us a bad name.  I translate my japanese volumes at school and get mocked for that "jap anime shit"  If people weren't so stupid, running around talking about _crappy overly long series_, Baka Neko, and wearing cats ears, then alot of us with actual lives might not get made fun of for otaku behavior.

I now have the urge to make a test to see whether or not you are otaku.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 07:27:01 PM by Waya475 »

Offline tenraikaen

• Clean
  • that woman is man because I was decieved
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2004, 07:38:17 PM »
Question: What would you define _crappy overly long series_ as?

a. Super hot
b. My boyfriend
c. A fucking cartoon

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2004, 01:25:20 PM »

But alot of us KNOW we don't have a problem.  I spend money on manga, but I spend it on other things too.  Movies, games, events, etc.  My life isn't devoted to that.  It is simply a hobby.  If you think all anime fans are in denial....  It is the otaku who are open that give the rest of us a bad name.  I translate my japanese volumes at school and get mocked for that "jap anime shit"  If people weren't so stupid, running around talking about _crappy overly long series_, Baka Neko, and wearing cats ears, then alot of us with actual lives might not get made fun of for otaku behavior.

Heh, now there is where I agree with you. I'll be honest when I say I DO think of myself as an "otaku", to the definition I posted earlier. However I am really not obsessed when it comes to the correct definition and I have my fair share of hobbies draining my cash away. ^^;; And I do openly say I love anime, I talk about it with friends, I have like 20 shirts or so... I am proud of my 75 or whatever Gundam kits... but at the same time I don't go around screaming making me seem like those you find annoying. ^^;; Heh. In some ways I wish anime had not gotten so popular, yet I seem to meet more and more people my age who don't really watch anime... yet they do agree its good stuff. So many people have seen Mononoke, Spirited Away, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and many other quality works to know what the good stuff is. Not everyone is blinded by those certain _crappy overly long series_ fans (no offense, I actually enjoy the show before it gets too repetitive). I guess you just have to deal with the people who make fun of you, even you are into anime/manga that even THEY might like if they took the time and effort to watch/read it.

Offline saki smurf

• Slightly Buzzed
  • no comment
    • saki
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2004, 06:06:46 PM »
however, I look forward to when I go to see the last Unircorn, screaming and gibberish... okay that doesn't count

however, the short sighted type does tick me off... the super knowledge ones, like me, scare the crap out me

oh and I agree that _crappy overly long series_ is too repetiative, when I first started to get into anime, a friend pointed out that japanese animators plan an ending and a begining to a series. I actually thought that it was good thing i n comparision.

oh and if you can translate the japanese volumes, then you know a second langauage... which is better than most people are

Offline Bob

• Clean
  • a.k.a. Talon / Darkfall / Checkers
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2004, 06:28:33 PM »
Question: What would you define _crappy overly long series_ as?

a. Super hot
b. My boyfriend
c. A fucking cartoon

b. Ten's boyfriend, of course. :P

Pfft. If people are so stupid that they would automatically group all anime/manga fans with the ones that 'give them a bad name', then you shouldn't even let their opinion be important to you.

Offline saki smurf

• Slightly Buzzed
  • no comment
    • saki
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2004, 07:10:36 PM »
that's true, although I thought it was kind of obivious

Offline unhinged_loon

• Clean
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2004, 10:14:31 AM »
If there are any doubts on what an otaku is, go check the AMG manga vol 1. A true blue otaku appeared it in. If you dont have it, you can get the scans off kickass anime for free. Its a great manga to check out anyway.

Regarding the issue of anime fandom (in general)., cosplayers are the ones whom I am scared off (if anyone knows sailor bubba, you would know how i feel). Of course, I salute their guts, but sometimes I wonder what motivate them to do what they do.

"Heh, now there is where I agree with you. I'll be honest when I say I DO think of myself as an "otaku", to the definition I posted earlier. However I am really not obsessed when it comes to the correct definition and I have my fair share of hobbies draining my cash away. ^^;; And I do openly say I love anime, I talk about it with friends, I have like 20 shirts or so... I am proud of my 75 or whatever Gundam kits... but at the same time I don't go around screaming making me seem like those you find annoying. ^^;;

That only means that you are a dedicated fan, not on the level of otaku. Particular characteristic of otakus (not just anime) is the lack of social skills (in Japan they would be on family name basis with -san; excessive politness in Japanese context). Not to mention that their only contacts would be other fellow otakus. If you find yourself in that state, better get some help :)

"Not everyone is blinded by those certain _crappy overly long series_ fans (no offense, I actually enjoy the show before it gets too repetitive). I guess you just have to deal with the people who make fun of you, even you are into anime/manga that even THEY might like if they took the time and effort to watch/read it."

Yes, the "OMG *** is the best!!! LOL" fans started with DBZ, thereafter love hina, cowboy bebop, naruto, _crappy overly long series_, etc. Somehow I find them really damaging to the image of anime outside of Japan. However, given time, they would discover more of anime, especially the classics and the gems. Luckily for me, animation, manga and Jpop culture is much more accepted in my country.

"Heh. In some ways I wish anime had not gotten so popular, yet I seem to meet more and more people my age who don't really watch anime... yet they do agree its good stuff. So many people have seen Mononoke, Spirited Away, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and many other quality works to know what the good stuff is. "

Elitist view. Sadly, I do feel the same at times. Sad due to the fact that it is not a good attitude and also due to the fact that the situation makes one feel that way.

"oh and if you can translate the japanese volumes, then you know a second langauage... which is better than most people are"

I am forced to study 2 languages in school (12 years of it), English and my mother tongue, Chinese. Learning Japanese would be my third language.

Finally, few otakus exist outside of Japan. Liberal and inappropriate use of the term would only earn ridicule from the informed.

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2004, 07:01:52 PM »
Regarding the issue of anime fandom (in general)., cosplayers are the ones whom I am scared off (if anyone knows sailor bubba, you would know how i feel). Of course, I salute their guts, but sometimes I wonder what motivate them to do what they do.

Heh, 90% of cosplayers are not scary at all, hell, I'm one. :P And Sailor Bubba... you get used to him after you see him at enough cons. And the others of his kind. Plus, my bet is if you actually talk to him, he is probably just doing that to be funny... but he could be serious as well, I wouldn't know.

"Heh. In some ways I wish anime had not gotten so popular, yet I seem to meet more and more people my age who don't really watch anime... yet they do agree its good stuff. So many people have seen Mononoke, Spirited Away, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and many other quality works to know what the good stuff is. "

Elitist view. Sadly, I do feel the same at times. Sad due to the fact that it is not a good attitude and also due to the fact that the situation makes one feel that way.

How is that "Elitist"? And why is it bad to feel that many people my age have a clue and don't just listen to some younger anime fans ranting on and on about one anime? It seems good to me, so many of my "non-anime" friends still appreciate it plenty, as do many of their friends... I've shown a few movies at random parties with basically no anime fans and people were glad to have seen the film. That's a good sign for a lot of things.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 07:02:41 PM by Judau »

Offline unhinged_loon

• Clean
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2004, 02:13:36 AM »

Heh, 90% of cosplayers are not scary at all, hell, I'm one. :P And Sailor Bubba... you get used to him after you see him at enough cons. And the others of his kind. Plus, my bet is if you actually talk to him, he is probably just doing that to be funny... but he could be serious as well, I wouldn't know.

Heh... I dont think I want to know. Anyway since I dont live in the states (cosplay is virtually non-existant here), I dont really get to see them live. Perhaps in the future I would come over to attend, even if its only for the Megatokyo panels.

How is that "Elitist"? And why is it bad to feel that many people my age have a clue and don't just listen to some younger anime fans ranting on and on about one anime? It seems good to me, so many of my "non-anime" friends still appreciate it plenty, as do many of their friends... I've shown a few movies at random parties with basically no anime fans and people were glad to have seen the film. That's a good sign for a lot of things.

Well, there are some fans, usually those who started on anime a long time back (some even to the time when fansubs came in VHS), view anime fandom as some kind of exclusive community. They dislike the popularisation of anime among the general public. They would look upon the legions of "newb anime beginners" with disdain. They would be keeping to themselves what they have and know. Not that I accuse anyone here of that (if they are they wouldnt be here). Thats what I call elitism, and from what I see, they are closer to otakus than they might think. (Ok, maybe they aspire to be otakus.)

Being is a country that is geographically and culturally closer to Japan, seeing people reading manga on public transport doesnt do much in the way of raising eyebrows. I guess I dont see the problems with accepting anime around me

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2004, 08:29:32 PM »

Heh... I dont think I want to know. Anyway since I dont live in the states (cosplay is virtually non-existant here), I dont really get to see them live. Perhaps in the future I would come over to attend, even if its only for the Megatokyo panels.

Ah, if you have not met them live before, really been there with the cosplayers, I can see why you think they might all really be messed up. But its not like that... its just like Halloween or something... normal people having fun in costume. Sure some like to take it to different levels, but its all just in good fun.

Well, there are some fans, usually those who started on anime a long time back (some even to the time when fansubs came in VHS)...

Heh... that was still only like 7 years ago, not really all that long ago. :-\ I still have a ton of VHS fansubs... the good ol' days. Even though DVDs are the even better days. ^^;;

Offline Motoko-chan

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2004, 02:46:18 AM »
Wow, I feel so..... new. I only started enjoying this stuff in about September of 2003. Long after the ages of VHS fansubs (and boy I bet those were fun to make...).

Now, going offtopic...

I am not sure I would consider myself as an otaku in either sense of the word, but the real question is how others would view me. Yeah, I do have this obsession with one particular character (can you tell?), but I realize she is not real, probably a healthier thing than it could be.

As for the whole eliteist view, well, Anime and Manga are designed to be marketable. (Yes, we could argue whether it is art or not, but you do have to agree that this stuff is intended for mass consumption). Trying to hold Anime and such as this underground thing kinda is different from the intent in its home country. Besides, I am glad it is getting popular. I hope the US studios figure out why this anime has such a draw, and work that into their efforts. Everyone can benefit from a better product.

(Warning, overgeneralizations) Now, I do agree that the Japanese have some awesome stuff, and a lot is better than in other locations. Just look at some of their technology. There is some awesome stuff that gets created and sold there first. But I also note that there is a culture difference. Japanese seem willing to spend money for stuff, Americans in general tend to be very cost-conscious (I am guilty of this, too). Japan gets cool stuff because the consumers will pay for it. America only gets technology when it is cheap enough that people will buy it. I should note the awesome R&D of IBM and some other US companies. In general, Japanese technology seems more consumer-oriented, while the domestic stuff is more buisness-oriented, at least from my perspective.

It is late, this is about all I can think to talk on. Maybe some day I'll write a nice post with all my thoughts on this stuff.
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline unhinged_loon

• Clean
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2004, 06:29:53 AM »
"As for the whole eliteist view, well, Anime and Manga are designed to be marketable. (Yes, we could argue whether it is art or not, but you do have to agree that this stuff is intended for mass consumption). Trying to hold Anime and such as this underground thing kinda is different from the intent in its home country. Besides, I am glad it is getting popular. I hope the US studios figure out why this anime has such a draw, and work that into their efforts. Everyone can benefit from a better product."

Demand is a double edged sword. Yes, it gives impetous to production, making companies spend bigger budgets to produce spiffier videos, investing better technology and in general produce more shows (with greater variety). However, with higher levels production comes a greater amount of trash. Contemporary trash to feed the general demand. Instead of creativity and producing a good show being the driving force, pleasing the general audience and marketing takes over. I am not sure exactly when but presently fan-service is being taken to new heights and harem types are taking over the shounene romance genre.

Look at Hollywood now. In order to feed the general public, look at what kind of trash is being produced. Granted that there are a *few* gems coming out here and there, but the general quality is going down.

"(Warning, overgeneralizations) Now, I do agree that the Japanese have some awesome stuff, and a lot is better than in other locations. Just look at some of their technology. There is some awesome stuff that gets created and sold there first. But I also note that there is a culture difference. Japanese seem willing to spend money for stuff, Americans in general tend to be very cost-conscious (I am guilty of this, too). Japan gets cool stuff because the consumers will pay for it. America only gets technology when it is cheap enough that people will buy it. I should note the awesome R&D of IBM and some other US companies. In general, Japanese technology seems more consumer-oriented, while the domestic stuff is more buisness-oriented, at least from my perspective."

Hmm... and I thought its the US (and the rest of the western world) was the source of consumerism. Spending is usually the case of easy come easy go. If you have to work hard for the money that you earn, you would be careful of spending it.

Offline Brain of GTO

• Butthole Eliminator
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • So Fast, So Numb
    • Page of Insignificant Stuff
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2004, 01:46:01 PM »
Yeah, I'll admit I do have a problem. I do have obsessions with some characters but I do know where and when to stop. I used to fantasized about characters yes but I've stopped because I realize that I'm just being an idiot. And I don't think American cartoons and music suck (I don't have any J-Pop music) but I don't watch much American animation much anymore (I do like The Simpsons and Family Guy). I still have somewhat of a problem, but I think I'm changing for the better.
I spend half my life figuring what comes next

http://brainofgto.proboards46.com