Author Topic: Definition of fanboy/girl  (Read 10589 times)

Offline sagara

• Clean
  • Mithril Enforcer
Definition of fanboy/girl
« on: June 22, 2004, 12:02:20 PM »
After browsing a couple of forums and I've noted the use of the term fanboy/girl all over the place yet i'm still not sure what type of behaviour they truly represent.

Someone care to explain what makes a guy a fanboy, same for girls.

Is it just an obsesed otaku that sleeps with their fav anime character printed on one of those big size pillows?

chi

Re:Definition of fanboy/girl
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 12:09:05 PM »
Pretty much XD
Fans boy or girl
are people obbessed with a certain something
It can be a certain anime
or certain character
Or even a certain type of anime style even

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 12:10:25 PM »
Don't know many/any fanboys here but for fangirls and maybe for the guys too, they won't shut up about one single character and would probably kill someone if they didn't agree with them.

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me
"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
Currently playing: Rewrite

chi

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 12:13:57 PM »
Nah, those are just rabid fangirls/boys

Example:
ME!

cuteflyz89

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 12:15:25 PM »
yea they are over obsessed w/ that sertain anime character like the two up there said  (can_t realy spell today and I don_t realy care lol)

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 12:30:20 PM »
Speaking of spelling and other mistakes, you double posted a little while ago in the What are you listening to thread...

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me

Waya475

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 01:30:30 PM »
Obsessed = otaku.  Alot of people don't know this, and I cannot stress it enough, but otaku is a bad thing.  Tons of anime fans call themselves otaku, thinking its a good thing.  It really is a horrible thing to call yourself.  I can see them going to japan, telling people in broken japanese that they are otaku.  They will wonder why people will avoid them.

otaku= dirty, pathetic loser with NO life or social skills.  They will probably never lose their virginity.  They are incredibly obsessed with anime to a point where it is unhealthy.

Basically, a fangirl/boy is a moron who can't distinguish between real life and anime.

OMG KURAMA IS TOO HAWT FUR ME~~ LOLOLOLLZ

Someone who is TOO obsessed with something as menial as anime.  There is SOMETHING besides it in life, believe it or not.  I despise fangirls, but I rarely ever see fanboys.  They must hide masturbating to cartoons or something.

Oh yes.  Among other things, they think ANYTHING from japan is awesome.  They hate american music and cartoons because "tehy are teh suxor".  They never have a reason as to why a certain western product sucks, but in their mind, the japanese version is obviously superior.  That also pisses me off.  I listen to any music that is good, regardless of culture.  I have heard people say "american cartoons are lame.  Anime is so much better!"  WHY?  They don't back it up.  Not all anime is great.  There is trashy anime as well, just like there are trashy american bands and TV shows.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 01:32:59 PM by Waya475 »

Offline HAPPYGOLUCKY

• Budding Addict
  • Modinators make Jesus cry.
    • PEPE'S LAND
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 01:44:37 PM »
Speaking of spelling and other mistakes, you double posted a little while ago in the What are you listening to thread...

Grammar ninja would like to thank you for the help, but feels the need to mention that in your last haiku, "a" was used when the context clearly required "an".  ;D  ;) . Your ex-padawan learner will become the master.  :P

Damn Waya, someone seems a bit obsessed with fanboys/girls. I used to think that they were freakish, but now I don't think they're any worse than (for example) the Brittney Spears obsessed fans. I mean, your chances of hooking up with Brittney are aboot the same as hooking up with a cartoon.  ;D

I think some people just need something with which they can relate. It's pretty normal for kids and young adults (still emotionally and socially developing) to be a bit "obsessive", as you put it. Most grow out of it, as real-life relationships take the place of their "ideals". I mean, if this weren't true, would the Backstreet Boys have sold 1 album?

Sometimes people are a bit "defensive" and "obsessive" aboot what you or I may deem trivial - but to them it's an important part of their life. I kinda shrug it off and don't talk aboot it with them. At least, that's MHO. Do what ya like.
OHHH, The Drama!

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 06:22:55 PM »
Double posting isn't grammer-related.  It's about following the rules here...

Offline saki smurf

• Slightly Buzzed
  • no comment
    • saki
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 10:07:48 AM »
Obsessed = otaku.  Alot of people don't know this, and I cannot stress it enough, but otaku is a bad thing.  Tons of anime fans call themselves otaku, thinking its a good thing.  It really is a horrible thing to call yourself.  I can see them going to japan, telling people in broken japanese that they are otaku.  They will wonder why people will avoid them.

otaku= dirty, pathetic loser with NO life or social skills.  They will probably never lose their virginity.  They are incredibly obsessed with anime to a point where it is unhealthy.

Basically, a fangirl/boy is a moron who can't distinguish between real life and anime.

Someone who is TOO obsessed with something as menial as anime.  There is SOMETHING besides it in life, believe it or not.  I despise fangirls, but I rarely ever see fanboys.  They must hide masturbating to cartoons or something.

Oh yes.  Among other things, they think ANYTHING from japan is awesome.  They hate american music and cartoons because "tehy are teh suxor".  They never have a reason as to why a certain western product sucks, but in their mind, the japanese version is obviously superior.  That also pisses me off.  I listen to any music that is good, regardless of culture.  I have heard people say "american cartoons are lame.  Anime is so much better!"  WHY?  They don't back it up.  Not all anime is great.  There is trashy anime as well, just like there are trashy american bands and TV shows.

you scare me girl,

Now now as a fangirl I have to say that i like some Korean Manga in additon to Japanese mangas and some of the Japanese mangas that i read are the Chinese version as well. I think that having a closet full of manga or anime can also qualify you as an otaku... know when the newest so and so is coming could also qualify...

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2004, 10:33:13 AM »

you scare me girl,

Now now as a fangirl I have to say that i like some Korean Manga in additon to Japanese mangas and some of the Japanese mangas that i read are the Chinese version as well. I think that having a closet full of manga or anime can also qualify you as an otaku... know when the newest so and so is coming could also qualify...

Heh, she called you a girl, Waya... ^^;;

And as for Waya's post, since I hadn't seen it before... I disagree. Yes, I know what otaku means in Japanese, both the word and the literal meaning that it is NOT a good thing. I have Otaku no Video on DVD, I know its not just for anime, but you can be obsessed with anything (duh). BUT... in America, I feel the definition has changed. In general, to be a manga or anime "fan", you have to at least be partially obsessed, not to the point to where it is unhealthy. Agreed? We need to use a lot of time in downloading or importing most of what we watch, we spend a lot of time and money on our hobby. Now, the word for obsession in Japanese is otaku... so since we are partially obsessed with a Japanese hobby (even though many of us also like Chinese and Korean manga, anime, music, movies, etc.), we use the Japanese word. Therefore, the way I see an "otaku" in America is far different. The definition has changed to something more like "a fan of asian current popular culture". You know what I mean? It's not a bad thing like it is in Japan.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on that. And if you say you are not at least partially obsessed... well you don't belong on a message board where the overall point is to talk about anime and manga. ^^;;

Waya475

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 10:36:44 AM »

you scare me girl,

For one, I am a boy.  Number 2, the day I consider myself otaku will be the end of the world.  I do indeed have a shelf of manga, but that doesn't make me an otaku.  Movie fans have shelfs of movies.  Are they movie otaku?  No.  Otaku = unhealthy obsession.  The american definition is indeed different, but when they try to use japanese words, they should also understand what they are calling themselves.

Offline saki smurf

• Slightly Buzzed
  • no comment
    • saki
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 07:50:49 PM »
okay okay my bad you're male

however you do have to agree that american cartoons are often bad, I'm mean they just aren't really suited for adults. In the past years, it has gotten better. I think that there is some anime out there it's just wrong for people over twenty to obessess over, but that's true for pretty much anything...

Offline HAPPYGOLUCKY

• Budding Addict
  • Modinators make Jesus cry.
    • PEPE'S LAND
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2004, 08:37:24 PM »
hahaha! That's not your mother. That's a maaaan, baby!

I agree with J-dogg: The meaning of otaku is a bit different in America. Having heard it used in Japan, I can say that they wouldn't immediately equate it to a fan of anime. But, you're talking about a country where "obsessions" are kinda the norm. It's hard to explain... Lotsa words are altered from Japanese to English, and vice versa. If you don't believe me, just look at the Engrish they have on t-shirts. It makes sense to them.  :-[
The key element of "obsession" is the unhealthy preoccupation with something. I think that's what Waya is getting at. But, I think a lot of how you label someone depends on the people doing the labeling. Most of us probably don't think of ourselves as obsessive, but yet we spend 20 bucks on a cartoon dvd in another language (after waiting weeks for the release). That might seem odd to some, just like more extreme peeps think themselves normal, but seem odd to us. I guess what I'm saying is: it's hard to draw the line between fanboy and fan.  :-\
OHHH, The Drama!

Offline saki smurf

• Slightly Buzzed
  • no comment
    • saki
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2004, 10:25:29 PM »
It's true that most poeple don't think of themselves as being an otaku, however I think that it's for the best when they do. However it's fun to see how  in denial some poeple are

anything