14 (43.8%)
Sony PSP
13 (40.6%)
both
3 (9.4%)
neither
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: So.. DS or PSP?  (Read 18017 times)

Offline Jedah

• Clean
  • Messenger of hell
Re:So.. DS or PSP?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2004, 11:14:29 PM »
Eh... I'd like to clear up somethings first of all DS cannot do GC like graphics neither can it have AI or physics that can equal the GC. Neither is it on par with the PSP in terms of power both the PSP and the GC are a generation apart from the DS. Hence PSP will be able to make alot more games with depth because of the superior power and storage

The DS appeal however lies in the touchscreen and dual screen it has the possibility of creating some very innovative software (although most applications of the 2nd screen in E3 was unimpressive maps anyone?) like pac pix.

In terms of design PSP blows the DS out of the water luckily Nintendo says they will retouch the design so hopefully it wont look like a brick it is now.

On games and developer line up both look great PSP has an MGS, GT4, an unannounced square game(pls let it be chrono), Armored Core, Dynasty warriors, Sticky balls etc... DS has Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pac pix hence software looks good for both sides.

On price and battery issue sony will be taking a loss so its possible to see it go as low as 199 dollars which is a steal for that kind of technology. Of course DS will be cheaper I'm guessing about 150 dollars if the price is about right.

On battery like the DS appears to have an advantage with a touted 10 hours of battery life. I'd like to see some confirmation first though after its released. PSP certain to be lower ranging from as low as 3 hours with extensive use of the disc motor and CPU to ten hours. Sony still has 6 months to improve battery life before PSP releases  so they may be able to fix something since 2 is too low. (If they do then PSP is the one i'll buy no doubt about it).

They have the same Wifi capabilites so I won't touch that. However its BS that Wifi works with people from other countries Wifi only works in an area.

On what I'm leaning on now its still the PSP partly because I need an MP3 player interesed in Portable movies and like gaming so the PSP appeals to me more especially if it launches at 199 dollars.

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2004, 08:51:48 AM »
i find nintendos games much more appealing even if the graphics are a bit fuzzy, like animal crossing (which was never released in europe!>.<)
i think metal gear acid looks great and by far the best graphics ive ever seen on a portable, but despite all the hype and praise the metal gear series has been given im not that in to it.

ive got a palm for mp3s and stuff but nintendos design is chunky the psp looks much more slim which also makes it look kinda fragile.
im caught betwen the two, psp for graphics and design, the nintendo for great games and 2 touch screens, wah!

-
To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad. - Jack Handy

Offline Noose

• Budding Addict
  • : D
    • The Gutter
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2004, 09:52:13 AM »
More Than 120 Games in Development Worldwide for Nintendo's New Game Platform

July 28, 2004 - In preparation for the launch of Nintendo DSâ„¢ in North America and Japan later this year and Europe in Q1 2005, Nintendo today announces major global developments for the innovative dual-screen, wireless, hand-held video game system.

Nintendo DS, originally chosen as the code name, has been selected as the official product name. The Nintendo DS name evokes the idea of a portable system with "dual screens," providing the rationale for the final name. The hardware also has been redesigned to sport a slimmer, sharper look. The retooled Nintendo DS features a thinner, black base and an angular platinum flip-top cover. The face buttons and shoulder buttons are larger, and some have been reconfigured for optimum use. The unit includes a new storage slot for the touch screen's stylus, and the speakers now broadcast in stereo sound, with or without headphones.

"The Nintendo DS will change the future of hand-held gaming," says Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Dual screens, chat functions, a touch screen, wireless capabilities, voice recognition - these abilities surpass anything attempted before, and consumers will benefit from the creativity and innovation the new features bring to the world of video games."

Software companies worldwide have more than 120 Nintendo DS games in development. Nintendo alone is developing more than 20 titles, and in excess of 100 companies have signed on to create games for the new system.

"The innovative functions make Nintendo DS a superior game device, while the chat feature and ability to detect other DS units make it a social device as well," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing. "We've figured out the magic of what makes portable game play so attractive to consumers. We've defeated nine challengers and once again we're prepared to win."

Nintendo will announce the launch date, price and game lineup for Nintendo DS at a later date.

Looks pretty nice, now... Of course, I can't afford either because I'm saving for a car.....

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2004, 11:01:55 AM »
wow that shot makes it look less likely to be involved in a robbery.

-
To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad. - Jack Handy

GianaW4K

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2004, 12:16:39 AM »
Damn once I spend all my money on one nice thing another nice thing comes out. Naw I was already saving up to by a DS cause just look at it...if only I could just use my emergency money but that money's for the hobo's like the one sleeping outside my house.(And that's not a joke) Yeah but I gotta have the DS I mean just look at it. Man that thing looks tight...well from what I've read at least

Offline NintendoPunk05

• The Destroyer of Nothing
  • Budding Addict
  • The Destroyer Of All That Is Neither Good Nor Evil
    • Vegito14's DBZ Site
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2004, 09:28:29 PM »
The Ds will emerge victorious

A:  for the psp how are you going to listen to the Music, i don't think anyone but sony will be releasing the PSP Music discs, and as far as DVDs go it's not gonna happen, the thing has a battery life of 2.5 Hours, i mean, you can't even watch all of LOTR with that battery life...

B:  Nintendo Is the dominant force in handhelds, i mean look at the N-Gage, all this hype built up around something that just stunk

Keep in mind the nintendo Punk's warning...

The Fate Of Destruction Is Also The Joy Of Rebirth - Selee Member

Offline PrinJess

• Cloud of Nightmares
  • Addict
  • Eh? Hrmm...
    • Ocean Healer
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2004, 06:59:31 AM »
Nintendo's life power lasts about 10 hours: the same power usage on GBA SP.

I would get Nintendo DS because of two reasons:

1. I like Mario and the games

2. It has two screens, which can be useful for RPG's.

And furthermore, i can only pick one between PSP and the DS, so i pick DS.

Swim upsteam, for the beginning starts there.

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
    • My Pulitzer Prize winning blog
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2004, 07:33:02 AM »
The Ds will emerge victorious

A:  for the psp how are you going to listen to the Music, i don't think anyone but sony will be releasing the PSP Music discs, and as far as DVDs go it's not gonna happen, the thing has a battery life of 2.5 Hours, i mean, you can't even watch all of LOTR with that battery life...

B:  Nintendo Is the dominant force in handhelds, i mean look at the N-Gage, all this hype built up around something that just stunk

Keep in mind the nintendo Punk's warning...

ok, well first of all, i doubt many people are going to listen to music or watch movies on the PSP in the first place. secondly, Nokia was not a well established company in the game business. in fact, that was their first attempt at a game system, not to mention it was a cell phone and not a real handheld. Sony's PS1 and PS2 are the most succesful game systems ever, so it's highly doubtful that their handheld is gonna suck.

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Waya475

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2004, 07:56:41 AM »
I am going with the DS.  Sure the PSP has nice graphics, but it doesn't even have any games that excite me.  Also, imagine the battery life.  It will be terrible for that kind of power, and one of the key points of a good handheld is not burning up batteries.

DS has an AWESOME lineup in development according to The Magic Box, and I just can't wait.  Nintendo has always concentrated on fun rather than graphical power.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 07:57:22 AM by Waya475 »

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2004, 05:58:41 PM »
clash: i dunno, nintendo had a chart at E3 saying theyd sold more stuff than sony *then again sony would say that too*
I think sony were dominating before christmas but then nintendo brought out some great games and there was a sudden boost to sales.

something like that..

one thing about sonys games, most of their trademark titles like crash bandicoot and tomb raider, suck, from what ive played of them anyway.
mario and zelda games show more promise.

but there are lots of great games that sony have made, gta and all,  so great that most of them are also out on pc, ill stick with the pc.

the graphics are undiniabley superior on the psp, crystal quality , a pretty much perfect portable ps2, 3 hours for great graphics is fair.

but....i still would cling to nintendo because generally, i find the ps2 titles have no life to them (but not as bad as the xbox) , like hi res cardboard cut outs.i dont know why, with nintendo its like theres something making you give a shit about the story/ characters. (apart from final fantasy which was unusually engrossing)

maybe its the high contrast :p..
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 06:01:17 PM by Final Saiyyan »

-

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
    • My Pulitzer Prize winning blog
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2004, 08:55:32 AM »
well, Nintendo has been suffering from a certain thing recently, and that is lack of good third party games. Nintendo's first party games are almost always good, and the reason most people buy the system for (probably the reason i'll get one as well), but other then that, there aren't many games that i would want to play. though, i will say, i'm getting the PSP almost solely for a portable version of Gran Turismo 4.

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline Zackies

• Addict
  • Horray!
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2004, 10:55:37 AM »
I can't wait to get the Nintendo DS.

Offline Jedah

• Clean
  • Messenger of hell
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2004, 05:59:18 PM »
Well UMD is not used for music you can use a memory stick for your music needs.

All portable DVD players have 2 and 1/2 hours of batterylife and not all movies are LOTR length usually a movie on average is movie is 1 and 1/2 hours.

Lastly I'm a little sick of the PSP=Graphics and DS=Fun equation that everyone seems to be touting for the following reasons:

1. Does Graphics=Unfun gameplay? Graphics not matter in games? PSP power only used for Graphics? Has anyone played both systems to know that the DS games are more "innovative and fun" than the PSP? The answer to all of the above of course is NO. I've explained my reasons for such in my first post in this topic if you'd like me to expound some more I'll be more than happy to.

Lastly the issue of batteylife and price are my only "valid" problems about the PSP and there important no doubt I won't accept anything below 4 - 5 hours for a very high level (techwise) game. On price I won't buy anything more than 250 dollars I hear though that price will be around 200 so thats good enough for me.

Oh final saiyan Nintendo is no 1 publisher and has sold the most software out of all video game companies (when I say software I mean there own). In hardware they outsold sony for a while because of the price drop but once again is back in last place in the console wars. there still behind by about 50-60 million consolewise in hardware.

Finally can I ask you what nintendo games your talking about with a strong story? The only one game franchise that I can think of with a strong story is Metroid. Nintendo games have always been about gameplay and focused little on story. Also what PS2 games have you played? Out of all the games platforms I enjoyed the PS2 the most because of the number of variety of titles because of the sheer number of developers developing for it. If your saying all these developers have no soul than I wonder what games you've been playing... Oh and Tomb raider and Crash ARENT PS2 exclusive in fact if anything else sony's first party has improved considerably just not as high of course as nintendo

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2004, 08:13:55 PM »
games can have awesome graphics and be fun, just generally from comparing the two handhelds opening games they appeal tome much more, GT4 and metal gear are great, but Gt games, ive played em and they've bored me.

metal gear might show more promise since it has shown in its previous titles that its always a popular game,but nothign new seems to excite me in the series anymore.

obviously the psp will have 'fun' games, but its gonna be a three hour long fun session cuase all the powers going into the graphics, not so fun having to recharge it all the time.

someone actually said to me 'you're not gonna have to charge it all the time, you're not gonna play it that much'. congrats $200 well spent there.^^

the whole DVD thing blows a bit, 'lets all watch a dvd on a screen about the size of my hand' personally i think DVDs should be on big screen with big sound, not wasted on a handheld.

fair enough , you're not gonna be carrying a plasma and a surround system with you, but DVDs are best at full quality and your tv wont have a tendency to run out of batteries at the climax of some movies.
great if your bored, but the chance of your batteries running out and wasting battery life on dvds instead of games blows a bit, buy a portable dvd player instead its cheaper..

onthe strong story thing, such as zelda, eternal darkness, starfox was pretty engrossing too.
i havent actual played metroid yet, must pick up a copy. ^^

yeah but even in the games that lack story , i still find them hard to 'put down' like super monkey ball or something, only a bit of story but stupidly great fun. only nintendo could put a monkey in a ball and sell a game about it. ;D

PS2 has oodles of titles ill definitley give you that, which was why i converted to playstation after my n64 got stolen , lots of cheap titles, which , werent bad.
im not gonna go through al the ps/ps2 games ive played but take my word for it , ive played a lot.

metal gear, final fantasy, great games thast all i can think of, both are out on the cube now which is good.
but i cant even think what other games on it ive thoroughly enjoyed,
...devil may cry was a bit of fun............in fact the only other games i can think of that i liked are out on pc also, the console i prefer.

but overall i prefer nintedos exclusive titles to the ps2's

all games have a bit of soul, but nintendo seems to have ownage when it comes to that. I dont know there's just a bland feeling with a lot of ps2 titles.

another reason i like nintendo games is they cant compare to the range of sony, but ive never played a bad nintendo game, cept that mickey mouse one...

the DS and PSP arent out here till march , ill decide then when it try it hands on..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 08:15:45 PM by Final Saiyyan »

-

Offline Jedah

• Clean
  • Messenger of hell
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2004, 08:40:41 PM »
Just a couple of things

Portable DVD players are NOT cheap and they have the same battery limitation as the PSP. UMD with 1.8 gig of space and compressing technology will be close to DVD but yes granted DVD is superior. Plus if you look at the specs  of the PSP in the sound department it is quite robust. Its the appeal of having multifunctionality that appeals to me.

On batterylife I hope Sony manages to fix it if they do I'm sold on the PSP if not well DS it is. I'll just have to see how it does in Japan to make a descion on battery life

Yeah Nintendo games are damn fun no doubt about that but ususally story isn't what there known for. Zelda had an alright story nothing spectacular though. ED wasn't first party but did have a great story, and Starfox never played the reviews didn't like it plus rare made it. Not having a strong story takes nothing away from Nintendo games because the gameplay is addicting thats my opinion on their games.

I'm not going to argue about your preference of games its yours to have and thats what you like so no beef there.

Oh and DS comes out earlier than the PSP here I think it would be out by November.

anything