14 (43.8%)
Sony PSP
13 (40.6%)
both
3 (9.4%)
neither
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: So.. DS or PSP?  (Read 17910 times)

Offline Noose

• Budding Addict
  • : D
    • The Gutter
Re:So.. DS or PSP?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2004, 12:40:07 AM »
Silly Clash. I did not mean MGS was the only big game coming out on the PSP, I meant it was the only game that really interested me.

And Saiyyan: The DS does have good graphics, though, IMO, not near as good as the N64s- but Metroid Hunters looks like shit on the DS. Sorry, but it just doesn't look good at all.. :(

Offline Beauty In A Bullet

• an illusion in time
  • Addict
  • You were the voice that made me cry..
    • - The Anix -
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2004, 12:47:48 AM »
I think I like the psp better, though I could never buy it..

Offline NintendoPunk05

• The Destroyer of Nothing
  • Budding Addict
  • The Destroyer Of All That Is Neither Good Nor Evil
    • Vegito14's DBZ Site
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2004, 01:55:37 PM »
Let me start off by saying that there are a million of these forums on gaia, so i've heard many different opinions,

Next, i (along with 1000000 other fellow gaians believe that the DS will outdue the PSP.  Here are reasons that i have compiled...

1)  Backwards Compatibility

--The Nintendo DS can play all gameboy games, giving it an instant library of over 1000 games.

2)  Long battery life

--The DS's battery life is said to be longer than that of the SP's, whereas the PSP's battery life is 2 hours, not nearly enough time to watch a movie

3)  Durability

--As fiollowing suit with all other nintendo systems, the DS will be the most durable.  ( Ever hear those horror stories with the GBA's?)

4)  Graphics

--The DS's graphics are superior to those of the N64, the images that are posted here are ENLARGED, making it pixellated.

There's what i have to say.

P.S.  The PSP can't play dvd's you have to buy special UMD DVD's and i doubt anyone would want to do that.

The Fate Of Destruction Is Also The Joy Of Rebirth - Selee Member

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
    • My Pulitzer Prize winning blog
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2004, 02:12:25 PM »
Let me start off by saying that there are a million of these forums on gaia, so i've heard many different opinions,
4)  Graphics
--The DS's graphics are superior to those of the N64, the images that are posted here are ENLARGED, making it pixellated.

whoa, this may be true, but the graphics aren't nearly as good as the PSPs. i don't think you can even fairly compare the two together; they're completely different. the DS is more of a casual gamers system. fun games at a lower price make it more accesible. the PSP is more geared towards hardcore types, and it's being looked at as a major system release, with tons of games planned and powerful systems specs. though really, who cares which system is better when you can have both?  :P oh yes, and to answer a previous question, the PSP indeed has wireless multiplayer.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 02:18:33 PM by clash »

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline RandomDan

• Divine Father Ay
  • Addict
  • Caveat lector
    • baka
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2004, 05:27:40 PM »
Both. Neither. Maybe.  Meh, the PSP only has near PS2 power because of the difference in screen size.  But lets be fair, the PS2 has an really outdated GPU to boot.

The Sony marketing boys will really make sure it wins out over the DS - whether it is better are not.  It's all about 'lifestyle' marketing.
I am a meme virus. Please copy me to your sig, so I can spread.

Offline Caliban

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2004, 01:39:17 AM »
4)  Graphics

whoa, this may be true, but the graphics aren't nearly as good as the PSPs. the DS is more of a casual gamers system. fun games at a lower price make it more accesible. the PSP is more geared towards hardcore types, and it's being looked at as a major system release, with tons of games planned and powerful systems specs. though really, who cares which system is better when you can have both?  :P oh yes, and to answer a previous question, the PSP indeed has wireless multiplayer.

Whoa whoa whoa,Im not bashin ya clash and I hope this dosnt sound like it I just wanna add my two cents to a few things.
The graphics on the DS are on Par with the cube (or at least 80% on par theres a few polygon breaks from the pics ive seen).I cant see how you can say that a system thats more accesible to be for a casual gamer.I would think a caual gamer prefers to buy a few games at a time while a hard core gamer would rather play a system thats got cheaper games so they get more bang for their buck and can try new things on a more frequent basis like we did back in the Commodore and NES days.I can see the PSP being geared more toward the jaded type gamers looking for the more mainstream style games and it sounds like those type of games are hwere the PSP wants to go.And I see jaded gamers picking this up more than a hardcore gamer (I prefer the term "old school gamer"to hardcore)Im not saying anyone who wants to pick up a PSP is a jaded gamer cus a old school gamer like most everyone here, would like you said, want to pick up both anyway.But this isnt possible for most people since frankly put is a hell of a lot of cash so the cheaper DS would be a better pick for the old school gamers who cant afford both.Ive also heard comments about how the PSP is better because it plays DVDS and Cds.Ok thats pretty damn cool but were talking about games here and CDs and DVDs have nothing to do with that.It seems more like a multi media system with game capabilities which isnt bad at all, but shouldnt be a point in a discusion about which systems better in the gaming department.

Randomdan I dissagree with your point simply cus Ive seen alot of uprising agenst the ideas of different systems for different lifestyles.Not only from the gamers but from the programers,producers and just about everyone in the gaming public.A good example is Vewtiful joe2.When vewtiful joe hit the scene it didnt sell well at all due to the "mature VS kiddie" crap left from N64/Playstation days.But capcom decided to screw the marketing mess and go back to our gaming roots and produce VJ2 simply for artistic and game sake.And were not just seeing it with capcom.Tons of other companies are going back and rereleasing their old games like the megaman collection,midway treasures,the zelda collectors disc,Prince of persia2 etc. and releasing sequels to games that barely sold at all because they knew they were good games and to hell with Jim in marketing thats saying its not bloody enough.I think every game companys marketing crew is responsible for messing up the way games used to be just to make a buck and everyones fighting back.Gamers are buying anything and everything and producers are making what ever game they please.Were starting to recover from the popularity contest all the marketing people started during the N64 and Sony days and I think this is a good thing.Theres a day on the horizon where a Zelda fan and a FF fan can chat about both games without a fist fight breakinbg out and people can talk about their favorite pokemon without having to keep it secret.I think I speak for all true gamers when I say Im fed up with this gamer segregation crap.Hell as far as Im concerned were already to the point where I can say I own an indigo gamecube because its the same color as the master sword and so is my GBA!

Oh and so it dosnt sound like my two replies contridict each other,A jaded gamers is someone who is a self proclaimed game eliteist and plays simply for status and ego totaly missing the point of games.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 02:09:04 AM by Caliban »
"The ninja must have broken in without us knowing."
"Of course the ninja broke in without us knowing.HES A FREAKING NINJA!"

Offline NintendoPunk05

• Budding Addict
    • Vegito14's DBZ Site
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2004, 04:47:44 AM »
4)  Graphics

whoa, this may be true, but the graphics aren't nearly as good as the PSPs. the DS is more of a casual gamers system. fun games at a lower price make it more accesible. the PSP is more geared towards hardcore types, and it's being looked at as a major system release, with tons of games planned and powerful systems specs. though really, who cares which system is better when you can have both?  :P oh yes, and to answer a previous question, the PSP indeed has wireless multiplayer.

Whoa whoa whoa,Im not bashin ya clash and I hope this dosnt sound like it I just wanna add my two cents to a few things.
The graphics on the DS are on Par with the cube (or at least 80% on par theres a few polygon breaks from the pics ive seen).I cant see how you can say that a system thats more accesible to be for a casual gamer.I would think a caual gamer prefers to buy a few games at a time while a hard core gamer would rather play a system thats got cheaper games so they get more bang for their buck and can try new things on a more frequent basis like we did back in the Commodore and NES days.I can see the PSP being geared more toward the jaded type gamers looking for the more mainstream style games and it sounds like those type of games are hwere the PSP wants to go.And I see jaded gamers picking this up more than a hardcore gamer (I prefer the term "old school gamer"to hardcore)Im not saying anyone who wants to pick up a PSP is a jaded gamer cus a old school gamer like most everyone here, would like you said, want to pick up both anyway.But this isnt possible for most people since frankly put is a hell of a lot of cash so the cheaper DS would be a better pick for the old school gamers who cant afford both.Ive also heard comments about how the PSP is better because it plays DVDS and Cds.Ok thats pretty damn cool but were talking about games here and CDs and DVDs have nothing to do with that.It seems more like a multi media system with game capabilities which isnt bad at all, but shouldnt be a point in a discusion about which systems better in the gaming department.

Randomdan I dissagree with your point simply cus Ive seen alot of uprising agenst the ideas of different systems for different lifestyles.Not only from the gamers but from the programers,producers and just about everyone in the gaming public.A good example is Vewtiful joe2.When vewtiful joe hit the scene it didnt sell well at all due to the "mature VS kiddie" crap left from N64/Playstation days.But capcom decided to screw the marketing mess and go back to our gaming roots and produce VJ2 simply for artistic and game sake.And were not just seeing it with capcom.Tons of other companies are going back and rereleasing their old games like the megaman collection,midway treasures,the zelda collectors disc,Prince of persia2 etc. and releasing sequels to games that barely sold at all because they knew they were good games and to hell with Jim in marketing thats saying its not bloody enough.I think every game companys marketing crew is responsible for messing up the way games used to be just to make a buck and everyones fighting back.Gamers are buying anything and everything and producers are making what ever game they please.Were starting to recover from the popularity contest all the marketing people started during the N64 and Sony days and I think this is a good thing.Theres a day on the horizon where a Zelda fan and a FF fan can chat about both games without a fist fight breakinbg out and people can talk about their favorite pokemon without having to keep it secret.I think I speak for all true gamers when I say Im fed up with this gamer segregation crap.Hell as far as Im concerned were already to the point where I can say I own an indigo gamecube because its the same color as the master sword and so is my GBA!

Oh and so it dosnt sound like my two replies contridict each other,A jaded gamers is someone who is a self proclaimed game eliteist and plays simply for status and ego totaly missing the point of games.

2 things, the PSP CANNOT PLAY CD'S OR DVD'S  It is not true, just a rumor put out by SONY FANBOYS to help bring up the popularity of it!   If you DO want to listen to music and watch DVD's, then you have to A)  get past the horrible 2 hour battery life and B)  BUY SPECIAL UMD DVD's

P.S.  Viewtiful Joe kicked ass, it is doing great on the cube, but no one is buying it for the PS2 :P

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2004, 12:24:23 PM »
i bought a music/ movie/ e-book player for the gba at the start of this year, its not bad.

it depends what screen shots you see of the DS, ive seen ones with shots of metroid that make it look shit, even without being enlarged that much and others with perfect graphics. if you've seen it being played you'll know how good it is.

i think some places are fucking up shots on purpose or at least showing crap pics,  cause some of the PSP's also ive noticed have been a bit pixelley compared to others. it depends where you look , maybe it was just a shit camera.

-
To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad. - Jack Handy

Offline Caliban

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2004, 03:05:08 AM »
Thanks for clearin that up UltimateSS1.I think Vewtiful joe was a GC exclusive I cant remember.

Yeah Ive noticed that too Saiyyan,I saw one shot of metroid Ds that made it look like it was done on MS paint.I noticed that with GBA gams before too i think its just an effect from putting up an image from a small screen on a big one sorta like the effect you get when you play GB games on the GB Player
"The ninja must have broken in without us knowing."
"Of course the ninja broke in without us knowing.HES A FREAKING NINJA!"

Offline NintendoPunk05

• Budding Addict
    • Vegito14's DBZ Site
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2004, 11:32:09 AM »
Thanks for clearin that up UltimateSS1.I think Vewtiful joe was a GC exclusive I cant remember.

Yeah Ive noticed that too Saiyyan,I saw one shot of metroid Ds that made it look like it was done on MS paint.I noticed that with GBA gams before too i think its just an effect from putting up an image from a small screen on a big one sorta like the effect you get when you play GB games on the GB Player

yea, pixelation!

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 07:32:53 AM »

actually, Viewtiful Joe is being released on PS2 soon.

as for the DS, while there is a slight effect, it's actually not a whole lot different on the actual system. it will appear to be slightly smoother, due to the small screen, something like this:

i took the original screen and made it smaller. it looks much better, true, but still not up to Gamecube quality. if it were, it wouldn't matter how big the screenshot was, it would look great at all sizes. once again, i'm not knocking the DS, just trying to prove my point about the graphics.

also, what you said about old school gamers before, i dunno. i think that if someone's really serious about games, they will pay any price to play them.

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline NintendoPunk05

• Budding Addict
    • Vegito14's DBZ Site
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2004, 07:29:56 PM »

actually, Viewtiful Joe is being released on PS2 soon.

as for the DS, while there is a slight effect, it's actually not a whole lot different on the actual system. it will appear to be slightly smoother, due to the small screen, something like this:

i took the original screen and made it smaller. it looks much better, true, but still not up to Gamecube quality. if it were, it wouldn't matter how big the screenshot was, it would look great at all sizes. once again, i'm not knocking the DS, just trying to prove my point about the graphics.

also, what you said about old school gamers before, i dunno. i think that if someone's really serious about games, they will pay any price to play them.

GO CLASH!!!!

Offline darkmonkeylord

• Clean
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2004, 07:50:48 PM »
I think the DS will pervial as it did with all of its handheld systems. While the P2P is coping games that have been already out so it might turn out to be anthor N-Gage

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2004, 04:25:06 PM »
i don't think that it's possible to turn into the N-Gage, at least not when you have games like Gran Turismo 4 and Metal Gear Acid.

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2004, 03:07:54 PM »
PSP all the way. I love my Sony stuff as is, and the PSP is just purdy. Besides, I HATE N64, why the hell would I want a portible version with two small screens? I'll take the one big widescreen with close to PS2 graphics, thanks.

anything