14 (43.8%)
Sony PSP
13 (40.6%)
both
3 (9.4%)
neither
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: So.. DS or PSP?  (Read 17921 times)

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
Re:So.. DS or PSP?
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2004, 08:52:57 PM »
man europe gets a raw deal, not even the DS till march ;_;

well since the portable dvd players are specifically for dvds, they should last a movie, but it just seems a bit of a waste, portable gaming time lost with power eating dvds, but a handy feature none the less.

ive heard rumours of a battery pack that strapped around your arm, found it when i came across a DS forum, so naturally it was followed by comments about robocop on halloween and the smell of burning meat in the air. ^^;

im hoping the DS manages to uncover some hidden potential for graphics. Zelda seemed better on the 64 cause it was the first time id seen 3d, and the games just boggled my brain as it did with others.

meh ,as i said ill wait till i play em, its the only way ..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 08:53:55 PM by Final Saiyyan »

-
To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad. - Jack Handy

Offline NintendoPunk05

• The Destroyer of Nothing
  • Budding Addict
  • The Destroyer Of All That Is Neither Good Nor Evil
    • Vegito14's DBZ Site
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2004, 01:18:50 PM »
The ds will have a graphic quality superior to that of the n64 not much, but it is better quality then the 64, where as the psp has the 128 bit quality, the battery life is the downfall to the psp tho, and like the person said, why would you spend 200 on a handheld that you aren't going to play for 2.5 hours straight, i know i play my gba for like 6 hours sometimes, and i got mad cuz i had to spend all this money on batteries, so i finally bought a gba sp, and i drained the battery, but i put it on the charger, and go to bed, wake up 4 hours later and it's fully charged, and if that's what the ds will do then it's great, also alot of the developers have been wanting to do stuff with this type of dual screen technology forever, which give a HUGE boost in products for the DS.  And i'm done rambling now...

The Fate Of Destruction Is Also The Joy Of Rebirth - Selee Member

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2004, 03:10:26 PM »
what about rechargable batteries?  ???

its amazing how many people dont use them, i couldn't live without them.

-
To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad. - Jack Handy

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
    • My Pulitzer Prize winning blog
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2004, 03:20:22 PM »
yes, rechargable batteries are indeed awesome. much better value for the money.

ok, i think people seem to have some misconceptions about the PSP's battery life. for games, it's about 10 hours, which i believe is fine. it will actually be longer with the battery pack included, probably by a generous amount, i'd say about 15 hours or more. but really, are you going to play a game for more than 10 hours straight on a handheld? i suppose if you're going on a trip then maybe you'd need more, since you can't exactly recharge in the car, but that's perhaps the one instance i can think of. why do you need more battery life when you won't even be using it? just recharge it when you're not playing.

as for the battery life during movies, why should anyone care? are you going to watch movies on the PSP? cause i'm sure not going to.

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2004, 05:01:24 PM »
i think after all this i might just go out and buy a new ipaq for the sake of it.

-

Offline PrinJess

• Cloud of Nightmares
  • Addict
  • Eh? Hrmm...
    • Ocean Healer
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2004, 05:10:18 PM »
batteries and lithium batteries has both its advantages and disadvantages.

Pros on batteries:

Plentiful everywhere
Long-lasting

Cons:
hassle to put in
They're cheap batteries out there, which only last up to 5 hours

Pros on lithium batteries:
Recharges
If plugged in, energy is not lost

Cons:
Some lithium batteries last 7-10 years.

I say a rechargable battery is the way to go.

Swim upsteam, for the beginning starts there.

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2004, 05:15:31 PM »
quote from PrinJess
"Cons:
Some lithium batteries last 7-10 years."

if thats the cons im lithium all the way
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 05:16:03 PM by Final Saiyyan »

-

Offline PrinJess

• Cloud of Nightmares
  • Addict
  • Eh? Hrmm...
    • Ocean Healer
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2004, 05:18:46 PM »
The other con i forgot to mention is to replace a lithium. It's so expensive, i can't place a price.

When i first bought my GBA SP, the EB clerk worker that the lithium lasts up to 7 years minimum. So, i should have my game boy working until i turn 22.

Swim upsteam, for the beginning starts there.

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2004, 07:34:08 AM »
whoa, rechargable batteries and Lithium Ions aren't necessarily the same thing, that is to say, not all rechargable batteries are Lithiums. i bought some rechargables at the store for about $20, they come with a charger, and they last for 1000 charges. tell me that's not value. i'm not saying Lithium batteries aren't good, because they are, but they are very expensive to replace, and also, if you're running low on power, you can't just pop in a fresh set of batteries, you have to charge them up.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 07:34:27 AM by clash »

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
Re: So.. DS or PSP?
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2004, 12:47:54 PM »
not worth making a new topic for..

Ds being released a few days ago, anyone  got it yet?
im trying to get me one from the US but teh bastards wont ship outside the US, and by bastards i mean amazon, bestbuy, ebgames, blah...

luckily i have a friend who is on holiday in N.Y  ;D

if that fails, ill look into couriers (last resort)

release games arent anything to go wild about, but in januar- march , nintendos releasing a line up of metroid hunters, warioware, that pacman thing, yoshi touch and go i think and hopefully animal crossing (that game looks fucking -awesome-!!)

im happy...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 12:48:20 PM by Final Saiyyan »

-

Offline Mujakisan1

• Clean
  • "Ne, ne, ne...Juusho to denwa bangou wa?!"
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2004, 09:24:42 PM »
I'm PSP all the way.  ;D  I've actually played Metroid on the DS and the only problem i had with it was a subject no one has brought up, which is the controls.  I hated it.  Without the anolog stick it was really difficult to aim and move around.  You have to use the A,B,X,Y buttons to move , then the d-pad to look around.  Aiming was a pain in the ass.  In a FPS the controls should be the least of your worries when facing other people.  Then the line up of the games really wasn't much to speak of besides the Mario 64x4 game.  I also beleive that that battery life shouldn't be an issue if your having fun.  The battery power really depends on the Umd, because of the information transfer.  So running a movie would cause the battery to run about 2+ hours if its reading the disk at full bore.  While games that might not need to access the disk as much will last a lot longer.

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2004, 07:15:50 AM »
actually, the control issues with Metroid Hunters have not only been brought up many times before, but they are a primary concern for that game and others as well, most notably Super Mario 64 DS, as the lack of an analog stick really brings the game down quite a bit. my opinions on the systems have changed a bit; i'm willing to give each one a chance before dismissing it.

i'm gonna wait a little while to see if any better games come out for both systems in the future before i buy either of them, and i might also wait for a price drop. this is true especially for the PSP, though not as much the price issue as the games, since Sony said that the PSP would be $200 or less. the only really good game i see on the PSP is Gran Turismo 4 Mobile, and i don't really want to buy a system just so i can play a game that i'll already have on PS2. Metal Gear Acid doesn't look too great, and everything else is really just bleh.

Seirie

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2004, 10:31:34 PM »
Time for everybody elses opinion to stop mattering, because I will now give mine.

Basically, PSP, sucks really bad.

I got my DS the very instant it was released and I have not been able to put it down since. In fact, Im typing this with my stylus right now.

These are the games I own:

Metriod Demo - Instant carpal tunnel syndrom (due to control), but still uniquely fun.

Feel The Magic - Lets face it, SEGA sucks at making games, and feel the magic is no acception. But, with the DS's abilities, somehow, this game manages to be fun as all hell. I could play these touch screen minigames all day.

Mario 64 DS - Mario 64, for the N64 is by far one of the best games ever, period. Mario 64, for DS, is just better, in every possible way.

When it boils down, PSP is just a portable, run out of energy in 3 hours, PS2.

BORING

DS is an incredibly well produced piece of hardware with unique features that just blow PSP out of the friggin water. Non-stop fun, if you will.

FUN AS HELL

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2004, 09:59:54 AM »
well after much consideration, i decided to order my DS off goldenshop  ;D

no, seriously, the psp has loads going for it, i really done my homework before making such a purchase... but the DS seemed to really provide what i wanted.

the PSP has awesome graphics almost PS2 quality on a handheld is quite an achievement, hats off to sony, the DS was owned.

(though i have seem some recent movies, which display quite awesome graphics, take a look at this interesting release..)

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/695/695663/vids_1.html

seriously check it out

ive seen some PSP vids, the graphics are great , but some seem like the companys half assed it a bit, and i could really imagine it being on the DS, in fact i had to re-check what category i was in.

Despite the superior graphics on the PSP, the releases, kinda sucked, nothing really excited me about them , whereas when i was reading about something like mario DS which didnt have half the polygons , i couldn't wait to order.

its a close one for me but the DS, as i said, provided what i wanted in a handheld.

the DS features attract me alot more, i want a handheld gaming device therefore i want some new features relevant to gameplay, microphone and touchscreen have real potential.

PSP=3D

DS=4D

-

Offline Dr. Jinxed

• Clean
  • Boost Whore
    • My Blog
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2004, 10:39:42 AM »
I'm totally digging the psp, not just for the high tech games its gonna have, but for the piracy possibilities. It's showing off Sony's new gaming plan; they arent goign to be makign pure game consoles and handhelds,  but multimedia devices. To like, watch a movie, listen to music, play a video game, check your stocks, burn a dvd, make toast; it's gonna do it all!  ;D

anything