Author Topic: Religious discussion  (Read 16425 times)

Offline Sweet Botan

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Assholes w/ too much power = 1% of Yanime.com
    • Young Love: Miroku and Sango
Re:Religious discussion
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2004, 06:09:04 PM »
Alright.  So which gods/goddesses?  Monotheistic or polytheistic?  Who?

Just state what it is that you believe in.

Paganism is a belief in the Goddess and the God. Between the Goddess and God the Lord is born. This is the main belief system of wiccans.  ;D
Whatever you do, don't f**king call me a fan girl! ~Botan

Offline RandomDan

• Divine Father Ay
  • Addict
  • Caveat lector
    • baka
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2004, 04:00:33 AM »
Haha, well, I can't be bothered to explain, but here is the reasoning behind why using the word 'pagan' if fraught with difficulties (and why I used neo-paganism to refer to a belief system).

http://www.religioustolerance.org/paganism.htm
I am a meme virus. Please copy me to your sig, so I can spread.

Offline metroid

• Slightly Buzzed
  • "Decay is inherent in all compounded things"
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2004, 10:27:02 PM »
polythiestic lol sadly i have had almost no time to study upon the gods and goddesses only to pray for blessings and strength....but on the good side i prayed for strength to finsih reiki and i am now a second level healer!! ;D

so um.. what kinda stuff can u heal?

I am working full time now and prolly wont be around much for the next 6 months.

Waya475

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2004, 05:25:05 PM »
I personally don't believe in all that mystic healing crap.  My religion is science.  You can actually test things.  I place my faith in science and natural law, not some god/goddesses that cannot be proven to exist.

Offline RandomDan

• Divine Father Ay
  • Addict
  • Caveat lector
    • baka
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2004, 05:48:03 PM »
I personally don't believe in all that mystic healing crap.  My religion is science.  You can actually test things.  I place my faith in science and natural law, not some god/goddesses that cannot be proven to exist.
Science cannot be proven to be correct ;)

Waya475

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2004, 06:57:45 PM »
Science cannot be proven to be correct ;)

Damn you!  SPIDERMAN PROVES ALL!!!

I got pwned...

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2004, 04:13:10 PM »
theres a documentary on in a few days time about pagans, what they were really like , i might watch it.

-
To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad. - Jack Handy

Offline RandomDan

• Divine Father Ay
  • Addict
  • Caveat lector
    • baka
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2004, 05:23:24 PM »
theres a documentary on in a few days time about pagans, what they were really like , i might watch it.

Are they interviewing pagans from the time?

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2004, 08:36:58 PM »
y'never know, maybe it could be like 'walking with dinosaurs', only pagans and no dinosaurs.

the first ones about horses and irish people... o.0

-
To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad. - Jack Handy

Vanity

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2004, 05:39:38 AM »
Consequently, you can look at religion in a logical point of view.  On one side if you believe in god, and it so happens to be true.  You then can head off into heaven.  On another side if you believe in god and it happens to be false, then you have lived a life where you believe there is heaven and had psychological benefits where you didnt have to worry about death.

This is pascal's wager.  He was the guy who pretty much created statistics and later stopped doing mathematics and went on to become a philosopher.

Offline unhinged_loon

• Clean
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2004, 06:49:35 AM »
Consequently, you can look at religion in a logical point of view.  On one side if you believe in god, and it so happens to be true.  You then can head off into heaven.  On another side if you believe in god and it happens to be false, then you have lived a life where you believe there is heaven and had psychological benefits where you didnt have to worry about death.

This is pascal's wager.  He was the guy who pretty much created statistics and later stopped doing mathematics and went on to become a philosopher.

Yeah, but if you really wanna go heaven, you would need to live a life of a christian and believe with all your heart, not to mention abide by certain regulations as specified in the Bible.

Waya475

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2004, 06:54:11 AM »
But which christian sect is right?  You have about a 1/10 chance of getting in by picking the right christianity.  Protestant, Catholic, Mormon, Puritan, etc.

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2004, 08:13:20 AM »
well they all worship god, in slightly differnet ways maybe but its all christianity. maybe thats good, cause if everyone was the same christianity it would be like everyone offering up the same present.

imagine it was your birthday and everyone gave you the same thing.
no variety!

no seriously, every person has his/her ways of worshiping God if he/she is christian,but at the end of the day its all the same its still worshiping God..

-

Offline RandomDan

• Divine Father Ay
  • Addict
  • Caveat lector
    • baka
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2004, 08:39:44 AM »
Pascal's Wager is far too flawed to be taken seriously, in my opinion.

It is covered pretty well here.

At times like this I wish my host was not down.  Someone is copying my avatar... >_>

Offline VW_Kidd

• Japan Bound
  • Addict
  • ...dakara...
    • Chained Bishounen
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2004, 02:41:52 PM »
But which christian sect is right?  You have about a 1/10 chance of getting in by picking the right christianity.  Protestant, Catholic, Mormon, Puritan, etc.

Christianity means that you believe that the only way to Heaven is through asking Jesus Christ to be the Lord and Savior of your life and believing beyond a shadow of a doubt that He is the only way to Heaven and that anyone may accept Him.  That definition rules out Mormonism and Catholicism (not that there aren't Christian Catholics and Mormons).

And, Final Saiyan, Christianity is not a belief in God it is a belief in Jesus Christ.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 02:43:20 PM by VW_Kidd »
My Myspace

Join Gaia today and tell them VW_Kid referred you.

anything