Author Topic: Graphics Cards (a.k.a '$$$') ^^;  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
Graphics Cards (a.k.a '$$$') ^^;
« on: August 12, 2004, 08:22:07 PM »
http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/product_detail.asp?stype=5&productcode=1511-3525&group=AGPNV&pgroup=VID&ref_site=kelkoo

anyone who knows their graphics cards, can you tell me how long this would last me before games exceed its power?

im thinking of getting that, or a FX5400 i found going cheap, but if anyone has anyone suggestions around that price range...

im looking to be able to run games from now to around the next year or over in full/ nearly full quality whilst it still maintaning smooth gameplay.

oh shit, its in pounds, ah i think the rates about £1 to $1.75, so says my friend.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 08:29:20 PM by Final Saiyyan »

-
To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad. - Jack Handy

Offline Jedah

• Clean
  • Messenger of hell
Re:Graphics Cards (a.k.a '$$$') ^^;
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 08:47:19 PM »
Well if you really need to buy a video card that lasts a long time I'd recommed a 6800 its the newest technology and its sure to last a long while.

If it has to be kind of old than the Video cards I'd recommed either a 9700 Xt Radeon or a 9800 Pro it should be enough to last about a year and a half more ATI did a much better job in vidocards in this level of videocards than nvidia did.

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 08:59:53 PM »
i heard mention of the geforce cards having an overheating problem , only reason why im put off them.

im also on a tight budget for this cause im lookng at external storage space which is pricy too.

the radeon 9800 looked tasty on amazon, maybe ill cut down on the amount of storage and shell out on it...can always unistall old games..

-
To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad. - Jack Handy

Uzumaki

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 11:17:30 PM »
The two best cards on the market right now are the nVidia Geforce 6800 Ultra 256mb and the Radeon X800. Between the two, go for the Geforce and save yourself $150. Although, if you have a good processor, even a midrange card can handle anything right now. I have a Pentium 3.2 ghz, with a Radeon 9600XT card and I'm running Doom 3 at 1024x768 on High quality just fine.

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
    • My Pulitzer Prize winning blog
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 07:30:16 AM »
if you want a good graphics card for a low price, check out New Egg:

www.newegg.com

i buy all my computer parts from there, excellent prices, great service, and fast shipping. anything from a Radeon 9600-9800 should do you good. as for the 6800 Ultra being cheaper, i don't know about that. all of the 256mb versions i saw are going for about $600, while the X800 XT is only $500, and the X800 PRO is even cheaper, at $400. hehe, don't know if you could tell, but i'm not a fan of nVidia cards.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 07:31:00 AM by clash »

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 11:27:13 AM »
thanks for the advice, but today i think i found the answer to the geforce's overheating problem..

nice card at half price, went from £125 down to £65 (probably about $200 down to $90)

it also looks great, big fan with neons ^^

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/graphiccard/graphiccard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=Siluro+FX5600+OTES&fMTYPE=OTES

siluro FX5600, tried it on myst: uru with ultra graphics, full screen anti alaising , everything, works perfectley.

might need some ram though, still a hooge game to load. (.)_(.);
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 11:28:07 AM by Final Saiyyan »

-

Offline bum

• Addict
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 04:55:13 AM »
gah,  ya should have just waited a month or two for the radeon X600 (or 500, forgot ) or X300

Offline Transcending Kanzaki

• Urumi Kanzaki's Monkey
  • Budding Addict
  • Urumi Kanzaki is the greatest! ^.^
    • Beyond the pixrs
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 08:28:22 AM »
I got my RADEON X800 pro for 420$, the extra 20 was because of tax.  

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2004, 09:45:19 AM »
gah,  ya should have just waited a month or two for the radeon X600 (or 500, forgot ) or X300

yeah, but those are for PCI Express, so if you don't have that, then you're out of luck.

when i become fabulously rich, i will take down a wall in my house and build my computer inside of that.

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 12:59:17 PM »
meh , but it runs great, just need more ram to load the games quicker. 0_0
says it works to its full potential with 512mb or higher, still got 256..

the price was too good to miss though, there were other cards about that price which were just plain crappy, i wasn't really looking for any extreme upgrade,so this suits me perfectley.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 01:00:45 PM by Final Saiyyan »

-

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 07:47:14 AM »
heh, you might as well get 1024MB of RAM, cause 512 doesn't really cut it. that's what i've got, and i'm not really satisfied. i might just wait until the new form of RAM comes out (forgot what it's called), they're using it on the PS3 and it's supposed to be super fast.

Uzumaki

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 10:14:47 AM »
heh, you might as well get 1024MB of RAM, cause 512 doesn't really cut it. that's what i've got, and i'm not really satisfied. i might just wait until the new form of RAM comes out (forgot what it's called), they're using it on the PS3 and it's supposed to be super fast.

Yea, I've got a gig in here now and it works wonderfully. Does anyone know how much memory Windows XP con reconize? I've got enough slots to put 3 gigs of RAM in there but I doubt the system will even be able to reconize that.

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 02:18:13 PM »
only got one slot left due to a ventilation slot needed for the card, so unless i find out how to fit in more slots or theres some technology advances in gonna get about 760 max, which is still not bad.

i heard from this guy last night who had two processers, 1024 ram, and a Radeon 9800 Pro i think.

he could run doom 3 at max quality while still being able to manage other programs like mirc and  skype at the same time, some computer.. 0_0;

he spent over 2000 dollars on it though ^^;

-

Offline aiyaka

• Dark Angel
  • Clean
    • Star Ocean BBS
Re: Graphics Cards (a.k.a '$$$') ^^;
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 07:34:32 PM »
hahaha, of course you can't beat the Radeon 9800 with that, but it doesn't look like a bad card.
"Nanji no katana mijikakeraba, ippo susunde"
If your sword is too short, take one step forward.
--- Writer Unknown ---

anything